HTV is looking to understand the decision-making process for consumers who are no longer connected to local broadcast news offerings and to better understand barriers to engagement with local news brands

Get Expert's Help on Customer Insight Project

Project Background

For more than 75 years, local television news has served its local communities through traditional over-the-air broadcasting and through cable/satellite subscriptions. With the rising viewership on streaming services, more and more consumers are becoming “cordcutters” and these consumers are disengaging from local newscasts as they no longer have antennas or traditional cable/satellite services to access their local television stations.

In 2022, the average number of “cord-cutters” who no longer have access to linear, local broadcast stations is about 16%.

In an 8-market research study conducted for Hearst Television in early 2022, data shows consumers who view a live local news program on linear/traditional television sources is just 41%. The other 59% is viewing via other platforms including social media, news websites, Youtube, streaming apps, etc. This data is provided from a sample that was composed of survey participants who all said they still engage with local news. The age demographic was adults 18- 54.

Hearst Television has recently launched its own streaming service, Very Local. This streaming app provides original entertainment content along with recorded playback of local newscasts and shorter content-specific news packages on VOD. We know there are cord-cutters who are finding new ways to get local news, but we also know there are many cord-cutters who have moved to streaming platforms and no longer are engaged with local news and are not seeking ways to find local news on the platforms they are using.

Project Description

HTV is looking to understand the decision-making process for consumers who are no longer connected to local broadcast news offerings and to better understand barriers to engagement with local news brands. This study should develop recommendations to get consumers to reengage with local news brands

Questions of Particular Interest (in order of importance

  1. If consumers don’t watch local television news, what is the number one reason why?
  2. What is the role of local news in today’s consumers’ lives? What sources do consumers use to stay informed on local news and events that impact their lives?
  3. What local events would drive consumers to seek local news?
  4. What adjustment in format or delivery process would make consumers more likely to reengage with local news? In particular,
    1. What are consumers’ preferred streaming platforms?
    2. What time of day would consumers prefer to watch local news?
    3. In what format would consumers be more interested to watch local news (e.g., short segments, organized by themes, etc.)?
  5. For consumers who use a social networking app to find out about local events, what value could news from professional local journalists be providing to them?
  6. If consumers were made aware of our local news offering and saw its value, what platforms would best meet their needs for consumption?

Expert's Answer

Hire Expert Tutors

Get Professional Tutoring at Low Price in Australia


Professional

Tutoring Services

25,187+

Orders Delivered

4.9/5

5 Star Rating

621

PhD Experts

 

Amazing Features

Plagiarism Free

Top Quality

Best Price

On-Time Delivery

100% Money Back

24 x 7 Support

You may also like

TOP